Sunday, April 18, 2010

Next To Normal

This is the amazing show my best friend decided to take us to see on our short visit to NYC.



The summary of the play (via
wiki): "Next to Normal is a rock musical. Its story concerns a mother who struggles with worsening bipolar disorder and the effect that her illness has on her family. The musical also addresses such issues as grieving a loss, suicide, drug abuse, ethics in modern psychiatry, and suburban life." I have to say I was a little disappointed at first because I had really wanted to see The Lion King or something of the like, but by the end of the first few songs I was absolutely enamored.




Kyle Dean Massey who played the role of Gabe, the son.




Adam Chanler-Berat who plays Henry, the boyfriend.




Jessica Phillips who played Diana, the mother. Alice Ripley had been sick, so Jessica was playing the lead. She was absolutely
amazing tho.





We went to the side stage after the door and got our playbills signed and pictures [duh] We missed out on getting pictures with Jennifer Damiano (Natalie, the daughter), Louis Hobson (Dr. Fine/Madden, the doctors), and Dan Berry (who played the father that night instead of J. Robert Spencer). The whole cast was phenomenal and so nice. I was in a fit of tears by the end, along with Victor and Shelby. I could not have asked for a better first Broadway experience (minus the coughing interruption I had several times).

No comments:

Post a Comment